Advantages of being a Suzuki Teacher
SMAI is an association of teachers that is non profit and non binding. Teachers who complete training may choose to teach in their private home studio, at a private music school that offers a Suzuki Program or they may integrate the Suzuki Method into their current practice of teaching. SMAI supports teachers and schools that promote and teach the Suzuki Method with camps, scholarships and events.
Some of the benefits of being a Suzuki Method teacher:
- Being a member of the worldwide Suzuki community of fellow teachers and learners.
- Professional Development Funds opportunities.
- Registration and promotion of your studio on the SMAI website.
- Opportunities for performance, taking part in regional, international conferences and workshops
Suzuki Teacher Training in Indonesia
The ARSA Teacher Training Manual guides all teacher-training activities held in Indonesia.
Summary of Important Points of the ARSA Teacher Training Manual
Currently Training is offered in Indonesia for Cello, Guitar, Piano, Violin, and Suzuki Early Childhood Education (SECE).
Every Suzuki book is one course of study. Book One is 42 hours and all other books are 30 hours over five days.
The first step to begin training is to understand the Suzuki philosophy. Candidates should read ‘Nurtured by Love’ by Shinichi Suzuki and when possible observe Suzuki classes and lessons. All Book One trainees will first take the six hour ‘Where Love is Deep’ Course before embarking on training. Anyone interested in the Suzuki Method may take this course.
Teacher training courses provide the following content:
- Intensive individual study of the instrument, focusing on the technique, tone production and sound needed to teach young children. Candidates should have the ability to play competently outside the repertoire.
- Step-by-step mastery of teaching points in the repertoire and of the psychology of teaching.
- Structure of individual and group lessons.
- Observation of group and individual lessons given by recognized Suzuki teachers.
- Supervised teaching of children.
- Lectures and discussions on child development, with particular regard to the parent or child relationship.
- Solo performance
An Audition is required to be accepted in training. Participants should be at least at a Book Four performance level to embark on training. When a participant does not pass an audition they may request to audit the class and participate fully in the training program with the understanding that the course will have to be repeated again in the future after a successful audition. The approval of the teacher trainer and the country association is needed to audit a training class. Observers are not allowed in any training of the teacher training courses. Please see the training manual for audition information.
Participants are required to complete all hours of the coursework without absence to receive a certificate of participation and continue to the examination for certification and the next level of training.
A candidate may wish to become certified in a level (one level is one book). Examinations for certification are scheduled after the candidate has successfully submitted a recording of all the pieces performed by the candidate by memory of the book being studied and of his or her students performing the pieces by memory. Please see the training manual for more details about certification.
Inquiries about teacher training in Indonesia can be directed to email@example.com Subject: Teacher Training Inquiry